Allenby was first settled in the 1400’s by the Huron Tribe which had a village here until sometime in the early 1700’s. This village is described in Lyman B. Jackes Tales of North Toronto as
“a well organized and extensive community that had its center in an artesian spring of pure water. The spring flowed where the modern water tower rears its head on Roselawn Avenue,
just to the west of Avenue Road. The great tribal huts were on the site of the present day Allenby Public School.” Jackes goes on to say that the Allenby school hill is not natural but was man-made, the result of the Huron’s practice of burrowing food stocks underground. The present day neighborhood was developed when Allenby Public School opened in 1927. The school was named after Lord Allenby, a British World War One hero.
Allenby’s tudor style houses were built in the 1930’s and 1940’s. They include a mix of detached two storey homes and bungalows. Overall, Allenby’s lot sizes are above average, with 25 to 35 foot frontages being typical. All Allenby houses have either a mutual or private driveway. Much of Allenby’s housing stock has undergone extensive renovations by new owners who have been careful to preserve the original wood detail and decorative accents found in many of the houses in this neighborhood.
(P) Allenby Jr., 391 St. Clements Avenue, (416) 393-9115
(P) Glenview Sr., 401 Rosewell Avenue, (416) 393-9390
(PH) Forest Hill Collegiate Institute, 730 Eglinton Avenue West, (416) 393-1860
(PH) North Toronto Collegiate Institute, 70 Roehampton Avenue, (416) 393-9180
(PR) Havergal College, 1451 Avenue Road, (416) 483-3519
(PR) St Clement’s School, 21 St. Clements Avenue, (416) 483-4835